- GStreamer, a cross-platform pipeline-based multimedia framework
- Phonon, a cross-platform multimedia framework from the Qt toolkit
- DirectShow, a multimedia framework and API produced by Microsoft for software developers to perform various operations with media files or streams.
- Media Foundation, a COM-based multimedia framework pipeline and infrastructure platform provided by Microsoft for digital media in Windows Vista & Windows 7.
- QuickTime, a multimedia framework provided by Apple for Mac OS and Windows
- AVFoundation, Apple QuickTime multimedia framework replacement
- VLC Media Player, a media player and a multimedia framework by the VideoLAN project.
- Media Lovin’ Toolkit, an open-source multimedia framework for television editing.
Is FFmpeg or Libav preferred for use with mpv?
Generally FFmpeg, simply because it has more features. Don’t expect subtitles to work on Libav. Libav support may be broken at times, because they did not yet add certain FFmpeg API changes which mpv relies on.
Do not confuse Libav with e.g. libavcodec. libavcodec is a library that is provided by both the FFmpeg and Libav projects. Their APIs are almost the same, with subtle differences.